Thursday, July 24, 2008

Food for Hiking

Ever wonder what food to bring on a Hike or camping trip. I personally like to pack as light as possible. This not only helps with hiking but when I camp I don't want to spend lots of time searching through all the stuff I didn't have to bring to get to the stuff I need.

Food is one of those things that you need, but it can get heavy depending on how you pack. On the other hand some may think that in order to cut down on weight you must cut down on verity and taste. Fortunately this is not true.

I came across another blog that offers some good food advice for hiking.

they also have a menu for a six day hiking trip that they use. Everything on the menu when portioned correctly can be a very good calorie to weight ratio.

They also had a great Idea that I will use from now on, which is, pack your condiments in film canisters. Me and my wife Natalie have had trouble packing condiments and have tried different ideas and film canisters is the best one yet.

I encourage you check out their food article at http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2007/09/food-preparation-for-overland-track.html

Happy Hiking

2 comments:

Frank and Sue said...

Hi Levi,
Thanks for the link. Just a note about the film canisters for carrying condiments. I often get a bag full from a film processing place (yes there are still some around) and then wash them really well with hot soapy water and let them dry. This removes any residual stuff from the film (not sure if there is anything there but it is worth the effort) The canisters are then ready to go when you are heading off for a trip.

Frank

Levi and Natalie said...

Thanks For the tip. I'll do that.

I actually use a 35mm camera for photography but I didn't think about getting them in bulk.