Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Water, It's Heavy. But We Need It!

We know that when hiking we should more water than usual.

So, how much should you drink?

How should you carry it?

I was researching the answers to this for myself and decided that if I’m doing the research I might as well share.

Water is a pain in the ass, and here’s why:

  • Water is heavy at 8.3 lbs per Gallon(3.75 liters)
  • On an average hot day without exercising you should have about 3 liters of water a day
  • If you are hiking you want to bring more, let’s say 3.75 liters This is about a gallon of water. At 8.3 pounds per gallon, This is very manageable if you are going on a day hike, but not if you are going for longer that that. Considering that for 2 days that’s over 16 pounds you have to add before you even start.
  • You need containers to hold these amounts of water which can be cumbersome.

So how you carry the water you need?

  • Carry a water filter with you when backpacking, which allows you to get clean water from a lake, pond, puddle, river or stream. Insert the hose of the water filter into the water and pump the water into a bottle. (http://www.ehow.com/how_2210377_carry-water-hydrate-backpacking.html) I have a small review on one such filter I used on a camping trip the filter is called the Katadyn Hiker Pro Water Micro filter You can read what I thought by reading about my California Camping Trip

  • Hike with a bladder system, such as a camel pack. This can be placed in your backpack and has a hose that attaches to it and connects to your shoulder strap. You can filter water directly into your bladder system. You can pick one of these up for a good price at Wal-Mart. Or you can find Multiple web sites on the Web that sell them as well.

I use the water pack option. I also carry Some water purifier tablets just in case.

If you have any Ideas on carrying water, please leave a post.

No comments: